Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Adiós 2013

Happy New Year everybody.

A little over a year ago I set out some goals and aspirations for 2013.  The original post is here

Before returning to work from Christmas vacation, it's time to re-cap my 2013 collection activity.

Let's see . . .  what did December 2012 Ron expect 2013 Ron to dump his money into and what really happened?

"I'd like to try to score some nice complete vintage Star Wars figures this year.  I have no aspirations of getting a complete set, I'd just like to replace some of my favorites from childhood."

I may have added one vintage Hoth attired figure.  This has been in the back of my mind whenever I'm out, not a huge priority.




"I assume we'll see some cool new stuff to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Masters of the Universe.  I know Funko is releasing some nice looking POP! figures and Wacky Wobblers so I'll more than likely grab some of those."

Mmm, not as much cool MOTU stuff as I hoped. I did pick up the Orko & Beast Man Wacky Wobblers and that was about it.  I may still grab the POP! at some point.


"The new GI Joe movie finally opens in a few months.  I already grabbed a new Cobra Commander, I'm sure I'll pick up a few more of those figures and things."

I grabbed a few more figures, some blind packed mini figs, and not much else very noteworthy.

"A new Iron Man and another Thor movie this year will see the release of some new figures, so that will happen.  Although I can't imagine I'll be buying another Iron Man, how many do you really need?"

I did not purchase any more Iron Man figures, I did get a few of the blind packed Iron Man Micro Muggs, see more here.  Wanted to get the Thor figures, but haven't seen 'em at retail.  I think they are (or were) available at Toys R Us, haven't been in Toys R Us in forever, My R Us is a lil depressing, It's a toy store, but inside it's decorated and lit like a discount plumbing supply depot. Meh.

"I'm looking forward to Oz: The Great And Powerful, not sure if it will spawn any worthwhile merch."

It did not.

"New Star Trek this year.  The Star Trek Kre-O have my attention, we'll see what else Hasbro does with the license."

The movie was fun.  Nada outta Hasbro, and still haven't scored any of those Kre-O

"Pacific Rim looks awesome, I'll be pretty bummed if I can't get my hands on the monsters and robots from that Guillermo del Toro epic"

I only recently saw Pacific Rim while making my monthly platelet donation at the Red Cross.  It was awesome and will keep an eye out for deals on the NECA figures.

"Very excited about Monsters University, so I know I'll have some more Monster lurking about this spring."

Monsters University was just an OK movie, wish Pixar would stop churning out sequels (unless it's the Incredibles!)  I grabbed the Monsters U Pez and a few other odds and ends.




"New Superman movie, meh, we'll see."

I really dug the new movie, more than I thought I would.  I managed to get a couple of the 3 ¾ figures.  


"Disney is releasing their Depp heavy take on Lone Ranger. So that may make for some fun figure fodder."

Like everyone in America, I haven't watched this yet and saw next to no merch.

"I still get all drooly over the prospect of those Super7 3¾ Alien figures, if they're not outrageously priced, I'm in. "

Very excited about this, Funko's involvement has lowered the price point and will probably make them more accessible.  These will appear on my 2014 wish list.

"I thought Jakks was going to do other themes for there S.L.U.G. line. I seem to recall aliens or something else in the works.  The zombies have been fun, but I'm ready for something more."

It appears this line is dead :-(

"Beyond movie stuff, we'll see what pops up."

 I've had my eye on the Toys R Us Monster 500 stuff but haven't pulled the trigger. Did acquire a few new POP! figures, the Mattel Classic Batman stuff featured in the previous post and even though I swore to myself I wouldn't, I bought a few 12" Star Wars Black figures.  Maybe I'll get ambitious and get a post together on 'em soon.  Picked up a half dozen or so of the Funko blind boxed Disney figures. My Christmas haul warrants a post of it's own, I got a great Nano Block set, a new Wacky Wobbler, Futurama Yahtzee and lots more fun odds and ends.  I know there's more, can't quite put my finger on it in my New Years Day hungover daze, again, maybe in future posts


I've enjoyed writing this little review, thanks for indulging me.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a similar post together for 2014.  

Spoiler alert, high hopes for new Muppets merch!

1 comment:

  1. You did good this past year Ron and am sure 2014 for collecting for you won't be any different buddy. : )

    ReplyDelete